The Magical Effects of Onions on Diabetes and Health
Every time you cut a bulb of onion, you shed tears, but it is a “panacea” that helps to prevent bone loosening, lower cholesterol, improve blood sugar, fight inflammation, fight cancer…, it is worth two more tears. This post will let you know the magical effects of onions on health and much more.
Let’s jump in!
An onion a day keeps the disease away!
Many people say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” However, more and more studies have found that it should take an onion a day.
The onion was called a panacea in ancient times, and it has the title of “Queen of Vegetables.” From diabetes, female infertility to respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases, onions can be treated. Even the athletes of the ancient Greek Olympic Games would drink onion juice and smear them on their bodies before going on the field.
In fact, many ancient secret recipes have been verified by modern scientific research to be true. The key factor is that onions are rich in thiosulfate and quercetin.
Thiosulfate is proven to reduce the symptoms of diabetes and protect against cardiovascular disease. Loxanthin has antioxidant, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, protection against gastric ulcer, colon cancer, esophageal cancer, and even breast cancer. The report of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies also pointed out that the human body absorbs loxanthin from onions more than three times faster than from apples or tea.
Even the practice of ancient Greek athletes seems to be proven feasible. A study published in the “International Journal of Sports Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism” in 2009 pointed out that the flavin extracts in onions can help prolong endurance and improve sports performance.
The”sulfur-containing organic compounds” and flavonoids (also known as quercetone) contained in onions have been confirmed to have an effect on the human body mostly due to these two ingredients.
In addition, 3 major nutrients Among them, the content of carbohydrate and protein is higher. Among them, the sulfur-containing amino acids and arginine in protein can prevent arteriosclerosis. In addition to sulfur, there is also a lot of vanadium, which can prevent cholesterol from adhering to blood vessels and prevent heart disease.
The magical effect of onions on diabetes and health!
Don’t panic when the blood sugar is high!
The magic medicine is hidden in the kitchen!
Onion has a magical effect on diabetes!
Onions have a good effect on lowering blood sugar and increasing blood insulin levels, but the sulfonylurea butyric acid in onions is a greasy volatile liquid, which is easy to volatilize after cooking for a long time, thus losing the effect of lowering blood sugar.
Onions have the effects of warming the middle, lowering the qi, and eliminating accumulation. They can increase the level of insulin in the blood, lower blood sugar, and inhibit the increase in cholesterol caused by a high-fat diet. It is suitable for patients with diabetes and arteriosclerosis.
Here are 4 ways to eat onions:
Method 1: Drinking onion skin decoction with water, or eating more fried onions, can reduce the opacity of the vitreous of the eyes and improve vision.
Method 2: Take 250 grams of onions, cook them with home-cooked methods, and eat them with rice. Or take 50 to 100 grams of onion, boil it in water for 1 to 2 minutes, and take it.
Method 3: Soak the onion in vinegar, wash an onion, peel off the skin and slice it into thin slices, heat it in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes, put the onion in the container, add 5 tablespoons of vinegar, and put it in the refrigerator. It can be eaten the next morning. Using this onion for breakfast every day can effectively reduce blood sugar and reduce weight.
Method 4: Soak lettuce leaves and onions in vinegar, wash and slice the onions, add a few pieces of lettuce leaves, pour in apple cider vinegar, and brown the onions. This way of eating can treat years of constipation, stabilize blood pressure, and effectively improve sleep.
However, it should be noted that the sulfonylurea butyric acid in onions is a greasy volatile liquid, which is easy to volatile after cooking for a long time, thus losing the effect of lowering blood sugar. In addition, when choosing onions, it is better to have a complete sphere, no cracks or damage, complete and smooth skin, and no rot.
For high blood sugar, below are a few simple and effective methods for everyone to choose from.
1. Drink some vinegar in moderation. This is because vinegar can enhance kidney function, diuresis, and can reduce urine sugar content.
2. Eat onions appropriately. A long time ago, onions were used to treat diabetes, because there is an anti-diabetic compound in onions, similar to the commonly used oral hypoglycemic agent metsulfame, which stimulates the synthesis and release of insulin.
Therefore, whether raw or cooked onions, can play an exact role in lowering blood sugar. Usually, time to eat 25 ~ 100g appropriate.
3. Soak the fresh garlic in clean water for two days (change the water frequently) to remove the spiciness, then put it in a glass bottle and soak in vinegar, add a little salt, and seal it tightly. It can be eaten after one month, and has certain adjuvant treatment effects for patients with diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and obesity.
The 18 magical health effects of onions
1. Prevent osteoporosis
A research report published in the journal Nature pointed out that onions are the most effective vegetable to prevent bone loss. The effect of onion in preventing bone loss is even better than that of the osteoporosis treatment drug “calcitonin”. Experiments in rats found that eating 1.5 grams of onions per day reduced the rate of bone loss by 25%, and results were seen in just 12 hours. However, if you want to use onions to prevent osteoporosis, researchers believe that you may have to eat 200 to 300 grams of onions per day (about 250 grams per onion), which means you have to eat a whole one.
The flavonoids contained in onions have similar estrogen effects. It can be comparable to female hormones or osteoporosis drugs. There are research reports that eating 200-300g of onions every day can effectively prevent osteoporosis.
2. Prevent high cholesterol
According to Dr. Victor Gurewich, a professor of cardiology at Harvard Medical School, eating half an onion a day or drinking the same amount of onion juice can increase high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL) by about 30% in people with heart disease. content. However, based on his own experiment, Dr. Gelwich believes that the onion should not be overcooked to be effective.
3. Treatment against asthma
Onions contain at least 3 natural anti-inflammatory chemicals that can treat asthma. According to German research, onions can reduce the chance of asthma attacks by about half.
4. Helps fat metabolism
Research also proved that onions can also prevent platelet clotting and accelerate the dissolution of blood clots. Therefore, when you are enjoying high-fat foods such as steak, it is best to match some onions, which will help offset blood clots caused by high-fat foods.
Chinese medicine also has the same saying. Onion is pungent and warm, walks lung meridian, spleen, stomach, and liver (onions are especially effective for liver metabolism and help lower blood lipids).
5. Prevent cancer
Prevention of cancer of stomach cancer, esophagus cancer, and colorectal cancer is mainly due to excessive intake of salt, smoked products, animal fat…, and the sulfur-containing organic compounds of onions can induce carcinogens (such as Nitrite) detoxifying enzymes.
The anti-cancer effect of onion comes from its rich quercetin and selenium. Selenium is an antioxidant and it can stimulate the body’s immune response, thereby prevent the growth and division of cancer cells; while quercetin can inhibit cancer-causing activity.
6. Prevent aging
Protein glycation will cause the body to decline and produce AGEs related to aging. Onions can control Diabetes (blood sugar), indirectly prevent the generation of AGEs, and prevent aging. Hupi flavone is a powerful antioxidant substance present in onion, it can prevent the aging caused by free radicals.
7. Blood sugar lowering
Onions can be used as anti-diabetic drugs! Because according to clinical trials of lowering blood sugar, it does have an 80% effect without causing hypoglycemia. It is a safe and effective anti-diabetic food.
8. Clean the blood function
Fibrinolytic state (to dissolve the blood circulation smooth fiber) of high and low and high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arteriosclerosis … are related. according to the experiment, adequate intake of onion weekly highest human fibrinolytic activity, but do not eat or Eat less fibrinolytic activity is low, it can be seen that onions can improve fibrinolytic activity and achieve the blood-clearing effect.
9. Improve constipation
The sulfur component of onion combines with protein or bacteria in the intestine to form hydrogen sulfide, thus it promotes bowel movement. Abundant Soluble dietary fiber can stimulate the intestines and make exercise more vigorous, and oligosaccharides can also inhibit the proliferation of bad bacteria in the intestines, and effectively improve the common symptoms of constipation in girls.
10. Improve skin problems
Glutathione can inhibit melanin production and improve eczema, dermatitis, urticaria, or liver spots. The flavones of Dendrobium can resist UV and have a whitening effect.
11. Improve eyestrain
Glutathione promotes the synthesis of corneal collagen and maintains the transparency of crystals. Onions are rich in glutathione, and experiments have shown that they can improve eyestrain and blurred eyes.
It is often said that onions are known as the “Queen of Vegetables”. Onions are not only rich in nutrients such as potassium, folic acid, vitamin C, selenium, zinc, and fiber, but also two special nutrients-quercetin and prostaglandin A. Due to these two nutrients onions have numerous health benefits that other foods cannot replace:
12. Improve cardiovascular health
Onion is the only natural avialable food that contains prostaglandin A substance. The Prostaglandin Ais a substance that helps to dilate blood vessels as well as reduce blood viscosity, thus increasing coronary blood flow, lowering blood pressure, and preventing thrombosis.
13. Help digestion and stimulate appetite
Onions contain allicin and have a strong aroma. They often make people cry due to the pungent smell during processing. It is this special smell that can increase appetite and stimulate secretion of gastric acid. It can significantly improve the loss of appetite caused by atrophic gastritis, lack of gastric motility, and indigestion.
14. Sterilization, anti-cold
Onions contain phytoncide such as allicin, which has a strong bactericidal ability and can effectively resist influenza viruses and prevent colds.
How to wash onion?
- When washing onions, it is best to wash them whole, do not rinse with water after cutting, otherwise, it will lose valuable nutrients.
- Purple onion has reddish flesh and a strong spicy taste, suitable for sautéing or making lettuce salad.
- White-skinned onions have soft meat, high moisture, and sweetness, and are more suitable for fresh food, baking, or stewing.
- Yellow-skinned onions have slightly yellow meat, tender and delicate, and sweet, suitable for eating raw or dipping sauce.
How to choose onions?
The heavier the weight, the better, which means it is fuller.
You can choose purple or yellow onions. U.S. Department of Agriculture geneticist and professor of horticulture at the University of Wisconsin, Michael Havey, explained that the brighter the color, the more thiosulfate contained in it. “Moreover, heat will lose thiosulfate. The best Onions can be eaten raw or cooked quickly.”
How to remove the spicy taste of onions?
Soak the chopped onion shreds in ice boiling water until it becomes transparent. Or put the chopped onion under running water for 10-20 minutes.
How to cut onions without crying?
- The reason why you shed tears when you cut an onion is that when you destroy the cells of an onion, it releases a gas that can generate propanethial sulfoxide. When this gas comes into contact with the tears, sulfuric acid is produced, and the brain tells the tear glands Secret tears and tries to flush out sulfuric acid.
- Irwin Goldman, a professor of horticulture at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said that this enzyme is mainly concentrated in the roots of onions, so there are many ways to reduce tearing:
- The later the onion root is cut, the more effective it is to delay the stimulation of the lacrimal glands.
- Put the onion in the refrigerator for a while before cutting the onion to minimize irritation.
- A Japanese doctor researched that he can cut the onion in half and put it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, which can reduce tearing and quickly peel off the skin. But not suitable for a lettuce salad.
- Soak the onions in cold water and cut them.
Steps to cut the onion
- Trim both ends
- Cut in half and peel (top to bottom)
- Make your cuts
Some Other magical effect of onion in daily life
- Cut the meat into thin slices, soak it in onion juice, and cook after the meat tastes good. There is no fishy smell after cooking.
- When cooking potatoes, add a little onion and cook together, or put a few slices of onion in the potato salad. The taste of onion penetrates into the potatoes and tastes more delicious.
- Cucumbers are too salty, so they can be soaked in vinegar with minced onions and they will become delicious after 3 to 4 weeks.
- After pickling the long white rice, sprinkle some chopped onion in the vegetable, seal it for 3 to 5 days, the white rice will disappear.
- After mosquito bites, rub the affected area with onions to quickly relieve itching.
- Too much dandruff, wipe the scalp with gauze dipped in onion juice, and then wash your hair a day later to remove dandruff.
- Wipe the varnished leather with the cut onion slices to make the leather shiny as new.
- Put the sliced onion in the cold water basin to eliminate the paint smell in the room.
- When painting doors and windows, wipe the glass with onion first and then paint to prevent the glass from being stained with paint.
- Wipe the glass with onion slices to make the glass bright and clean.
Seeing so many health benefits, and the taste of onions becomes sweeter after cooking, and there is no spicy taste at all. I advise you to eat more onions for yourself and your family!